Prosource gave several project management trainings and workshops at Newtec. This high-tech company chose Prosource as their partner because of our extensive knowledge of project management methodologies, combined with our practical experience and approach.
Newtec is a Belgian company that’s specialised in designing, developing and manufacturing equipment and technologies for satellite communications.
Innovative customer and R&D projects are integrated in Newtec’s DNA. Newtec’s projects are often long-term and highly complex. This makes good project management a key success factor for the company.
On top of that, many of Newtec’s customers and international organisations (e.g. ESA) require that their suppliers can show officially recognised certificates as proof of their project management skills.
Prosource offered Newtec’s team of project managers the relevant training and workshops that they needed to establish themselves as project management experts.
Practical project management training
We gave our Practical Project Management training to the core team of project managers at Newtec.
This training gave the project managers a good understanding of the global PM standard (PMBOK®), a standard that specifies what is expected of a professional project manager.
Through practical case studies, we also provided them with practical tools and techniques that they could immediately put into practice.
We also prepared the core team of project managers (R&D and customer projects) for the PMP® (Project Management Professional) exam.
The PMP® certificate is globally the most recognised project management certificate. As Newtec works in an international environment, the PMP® certification was the best choice for them.
We prepared them for the PMP® certification exam with a three day PMP® prep course, supported by an online learning environment.
Earned Value Management (EVM)
Because of the complexity and length of their projects, Newtec’s customers need a reliable project reporting system. EVM is the global standard for project progress measurement, forecasting and reporting.
We taught the project managers at Newtec how to apply EVM to their projects to improve project performance in two workshops. Each workshop lasted half a day:
- Part 1: the theory of EVM, illustrated with practical examples.
- Part 2: an interactive session. By applying EVM to their projects, we established guidelines for EVM at Netwec.
Managing risks is an integral part of good project management. It must be done in a structural manner, especially in highly complex environments. We organised several sessions of two different types of workshops.
This way, we helped risk management become part of the organisation’s standard workflow:
- A half-day workshop to introduce the principles of project risk management.
- A half-day workshop with the key stakeholders of a project. Together, we developed a risk register for the project, including risk descriptions, PI-scoring and risk responses.
Agile techniques have become mainstream in most project environments. Hybrid project management (a mix of traditional and agile project management methods) has become the new norm.
Prosource gave two types of Scrum-training to Newtec:
- Scrum Master Certified (SMC®): we helped the core team of project managers prepare for the Scrum Master Certified® certification exam.
- Introduction to agile project management: we provided a practical overview of agile techniques (Scrum, Kanban…) to Newtec’s management and other key stakeholders.